Anyone who’s ever been on a motorcycle knows the unique sense of freedom and adventure that comes with it. But before you can hit the open road, you must ensure you have a few key things in place, including protective gear and motorcycle insurance. Here are five things you need to know about motorcycle insurance.
1. There Are Different Types of Coverage
One of the most important things about motorcycle insurance is that different types of coverage are available. Each type of coverage is designed to protect you in different ways. For example, liability insurance covers damage you may cause to someone else or their property. In contrast, collision insurance covers damage to your motorcycle resulting from a collision with another vehicle or object.
2. You Might Need More Than the Minimum Coverage
While the minimum coverage required by law in most states will vary, it’s important to note that this is usually the bare minimum and may not provide adequate protection in the event of an accident. In some cases, you may need to purchase additional coverage to protect yourself fully.
3. Motorcycle Insurance Rates Can Vary
Regarding motorcycle insurance, rates can vary significantly from one company to the next. It’s important to shop around and compare rates before deciding which company to purchase a policy from.
4. You Can Bundle It with Other Types of Insurance
If you own other types of vehicles, such as a car, you may be able to bundle your motorcycle insurance with your other policies for a discount. This is something to consider if you’re looking to save money on your overall insurance costs.
5. Never Ignore the Fine Print
As with any insurance policy, it’s important to read the fine print carefully before signing on the dotted line. This will help you better understand what is and isn’t covered by your policy.
Get Motorcycle Insurance in Niles, OH
Keep these five things in mind when shopping for motorcycle insurance, and you’ll be well on your way to being adequately protected on the open road. Ruddy Insurance Group can help you find the right policy for your needs. Give us a call today to get started.
Motorcyclists who live in the Niles, OH area need to follow the state-mandated requirements when applying for a motorcycle license. One of these requirements is applying for your permit, and another is completing an approved Motorcycle Safety Course. In many states, motorcycle rights organizations or state licensing branches will offer these courses for a fee. The agents at Ruddy Insurance Group can help.
Choosing the Right Motorcycle Safety Course
If you are looking for a motorcycle safety course that you can use to obtain your motorcycle permit, you have to find one that is approved by the state. These types of courses are proven to provide you with the knowledge you need to ride your motorcycle safely in a variety of conditions. It will also test your understanding of the laws that you will have to abide by when you are riding.
Getting Your Permit
When you apply for your motorcycle permit, you will get an abundance of information that you can use to become a safe and reliable rider. Once you have your permit, you will have a specific amount of time, normally six months, to complete your motorcycle safety course. As soon as you have completed the required steps, you can apply for your motorcycle license.
At Ruddy Insurance Group, agents are available to help Niles, OH residents work their way through the steps they need to take to get their motorcycle license. If you have questions about an approved motorcycle safety class, call and talk to an agent as soon as possible. They can help you get the process started and make sure you have everything you need before you hit the road on two wheels.
If you have a motorcycle or you are planning to get one, it is important to make an insurance review part of your regular maintenance program. If there have not been any significant changes in how the motorcycle is used or stored, then an annual review is sufficient. Your agent can help to make any adjustments needed for replacement value or other routine things to keep your insurance up-to-date.
However, if anything substantial changes, then you should immediately consult with your agent at Ruddy Insurance Group, serving Niles, OH and the surrounding area.
Here is a checklist of things that might change, which are important reasons to have a motorcycle insurance review:
- Change in Use: An example of this would be if you take a part-time job and use your motorcycle to make deliveries. This a commercial use that requires a different type of motorcycle insurance. Another example would be, if you get a new job and your commute distance, riding on your motorcycle to work, is further.
- Change in Riders: If you allow other people to ride your motorcycle, they may need to be put on your motorcycle insurance policy as an authorized operator.
- Storage and Parking: If you are going to park your motorcycle in a different place that might increase the security risk, let your agent know before making this change. For example, if you have been keeping your motorcycle in a locked garage and you need to park it out on the street instead, be sure to inform your agent.
- Custom Work: If you add any custom features to the motorcycle, this is a good reason to upgrade your insurance coverage to make sure it provides adequate protection for the increased value.
- Moving: Moving to a new location will require policy changes for your motorcycle insurance.
These are just a few of the common things to consider to make sure you always have adequate motorcycle insurance. Contact your agent at Ruddy Insurance Group in Niles, OH by calling 330-652-0202 or use the convenient online form to get a motorcycle insurance review and a quote.