It can be hard to remember everything that was in your home after a disaster strikes, which is where a home inventory comes in handy. An up-to-date inventory makes your claim process more manageable and can also help make sure you have enough coverage, to begin with. An agent at Ruddy Insurance Group in Youngstown, OH can also help you with conducting an inventory and suggests the following:
- Use Technology: Technology can make the process easier. Take a photo of individual items and then label where you bought it, as well as the make, model, and any other information that is useful. You can also walk through the home and videotape the contents while you describe them. Many mobile apps will give you options to help you create an inventory, and you should go room by room so you won’t forget anything.
- Start Somewhere Easy: A contained area, like an equipment closet or kitchen, is an excellent place to start so you don’t get overwhelmed.
- Include Basic Information: When recording your inventory, make sure that you include the basic information of what you will need when filing a claim. Serial numbers are always a useful reference and can be found on the back or bottom of appliances and electronics. Keep any proof of value, such as recipes or appraisals.
- Don’t Forget Off-site Items: Any items you keep in a storage facility will be covered under your homeowner’s insurance, so be sure to include these items in the inventory.
- Count Clothing by Category: Include things like "three pairs of sneakers" or "six pairs of jeans" to make it easy, and note any pieces of clothing that are exceptionally valuable.
- Keep It Up to Date: Add any significant purchases while they are still fresh in your mind. Store copies of the inventory outside the home and, if you are using an app, make sure that you know how to access the information and when a backup is needed.
Contact Ruddy Insurance Group, serving Youngstown, OH, to get a quote on home insurance.